January 28, 2012

It's the Little Things



22
Making pinto beans makes me happy, I have so many good food memories about beans: Grandpa Fulfer always made black eyed peas and collard greens for New Years. One of my favorite meals as a child was my mom’s special Hurst’s HamBeens 15 Bean Soup and homemade cornbread. I created my wonderful Pumpkin Black Eyed Pea Soup out of what was in the house one day - it remains Jesamie’s and my favorite. The last night Grandma Ferne was in her house, she, Daddy, and I ate her wonderful pintos she’d made and froze in portions. Humble goodness.

23
Mark’s hands. Every winter his finger tips crack and split painfully. He wraps them in bandages and tape after treating the cracks with ointment. All the lotions and potions don't make a bit of difference.  I am grateful for those hands that work to provide.

24
I've been looking for one of these for years, too cool. Our neighbors, Ed and Linda Van Horn, discovered one in their mother's estate and gave it to me. I love it's retro cool. I don't remember if my grandparents had one but it belongs in my memories with Sen Sen, those oval rubber squeeze coin pockets, and the Kleenex boxes with the map motif that they always had in the car.

25
My favorite flowers, beautiful Irises. This bouquet was for sale in our new and improved Safeway. Its design exactly like all the other fancy schmancy Safeways across the state. It replaced the tiny, crowded aisle, hometown feel Safeway across the street. I resisted the change at first, it felt sterile and un- neighborly. I think everyone was in change shock but have now adapted - the after work, picking up dinner ingredients, "what are you having" smiles and chat are back.


26
Dragonfly, princess cat, asleep on a pile of decorator pillows. The Beanie Baby elephant Jessica gave me is a little larger than a pea but doesn't seem to be bothering her much.

27
My crowning glory. I wear it up in a bun almost all the time to keep it from being in the way, it gets yanked when I roll over in bed and find Mark is laying on it, and when I have a migraine I want to chop it off. This is the longest my hair has ever been and I want more! I just got it trimmed and had it low-lighted. Awesome!

28
Pace, calling his friends, thrilled that he can have a sleepover. He is so emotive, it's nice when we can say yes and bring out the smiles.

Bonus
This is a citron Greg, our neighbor, bought at a roadside stand and gave to us. I'd heard of them but never even seen a picture of one. It is among the strangest of fruits I think. Now for a zesty recipe.


1 comment:

  1. Gina, your pages are looking great! I love the window pane look - like a peak inside your life! You have captured some great details of your day to day life. Ones I'm sure your family will treasure for many years! :)

    ReplyDelete